The history of Municipal Enterprise of Water supply and Sewerage Larissa from 1940 until now
1940: EYHL continued its course as a local utility Self-Administrated Organization. Within ten years (1930-1940) it doubled the consumption of electricity and multiplied the water per inhabitant. Larissa had the highest consumption per inhabitant in provincial Greece, regarding both electricity and water. By virtue of the Emergency Law of 10 August 1940, the EYHL memorandum was amended and the company was renamed to "Larissa Organization of Water Supply and Electric Lighting" (OYHL).
1940-1950: During the war, due to bombardments and earthquakes, OYHL suffered serious damages in water meters and the water tower cracked.
During the Occupation by the Germans and the Italians, the administration of the Organization was oriented into three main efforts.
• Supply of current and water for the inhabitants
• Survival of the staff and their families
• Maintenance of machines and networks. In 1945, the total damages of OYHL during the war were estimated in 14 billion GRD, a huge amount for that time. After the liberation, OYHL proceeded headlong to the reconstitution that led to its profitable (since 1946) operation.
1950-1960: During this decade, the rapid development brought strong differentiations in the financial and social life of the city and of the whole region. Larissa's population started to increase at an unprecedented pace. OYHL had to ensure water and lighting for all these people. It is evident that in order for OYHL to be able to respond to the demand for water, it had to proceed to bold extensions of the water supply networks and to the establishment of a new refinery that was inaugurated on 17 September 1956. In 1960, the Public Power Corporation (DEH) bought out from OYHL the concession on current, the mechanical installations with the network and also hired the personnel of OYHL.
1960-1980: This decade, which was characterized by rural depopulation, multiplies the water supply needs of Larissa. The City Council started frequent discussions on making OYHL public. On 17-12-73 the City Council decided that OYHL would operate as a "Municipal Water Supply Company of Larissa". On 25-1-77 the City Council unanimously decided to add the sector of sewerage to DEYAL as a second scope. Thus DEYL is renamed to DEYAL. The purpose of the new sector was the construction of sewerage projects, their maintenance, and the optimum exploitation of the already existing and under construction networks.
1980-2000: The last twenty years were perhaps the most important period for the water supply of Larissa. The target of DEYAL is to ensure plenty and healthy water for a city where the demands keep on growing every day. Pinios could no longer be the only water supply source, since everyday it becomes more and more polluted and the quantity of water keeps on lessening. DEYAL starts to seek new water supply sources.
• In 1981 DEYAL acquires its current form and falls under the provisions of L. 1069/80 "on incentives for the establishment of Water Supply-Sewerage Companies". According to the P.D. 379/10-4-81, DEYAL is a legal person governed by private law, with social utility character and its scope is water supply and sewerage.
• In 1986 the excavation of a series of bores started in the area of Yannouli. These bores supplied Larissa with approx.65% of the total water that the city needed. Still, a 35% from the river water was needed. In September 1988, Pinios run literally dry. Larissa spent almost 60 hours without regular water supply.
After several pressures on behalf of DEYAL, the city approved the funding of a new series of bores in the area of Abelonas. The works for the bores and the pipeline were implemented in no time (March0June 1989) and Larissa could now receive all the water it needed from the bores at a percentage of 100%.
• In 2000 the works for the bores and for the water pipeline in Platanoulias were implemented and covered all the needs of the city. Currently the water is supplied to Larissa from a total of 17 bores (5 in Yannouli, 7 in Abelonas and 5 in Platanoulia).