The Larissa's Bezesten dominates with its presence in the hill of ancient acropolis, in the current position «Hill of Frourion».
It was a big covered market, that was built by the Ottoman, at the end of 15th- beginning of 16th century. The older known indication for its existence is documented by the public Turkish report TD 36 (1506), where it is mentioned as one of the most important donations and properties of Gazi Omer Bey. Larissa Bezesten served, since then, and for three roughly centuries, as the more vital department of market – a real genuine centre of economic activity- with many professional guilds; while around it, it was organised the commercial department of city, with the Çarşı and the Bazaar.
Evliya Çelebi who visited Larissa around 1668 admired Bezesten; he describes the excellent brickwork of Bezesten and the security that provided to merchants and their goodies, he wrote characteristically:
«In the heart of the city it is located a bezesten, it looks like a fortress, built of stone and roofed with lead, with heavy iron gates. In that covered market, rich merchants sold their particular specialities. Moreover, inside bezesten 21 shops were hosted. All of them are covered by bricks».
Today only the peripheral walls of the Bezesten are still visible. The only gate that is open today is that from the south. Temporarily, Bezesten hosts a byzantine collection of exhibits which it will move very soon on the New Diachronic Museum of Larissa.
References in Greek language:
1. Σταυρούλα Σδρόλια, Δρ Βυζαντινής Αρχαιολογίας - Αρχαιολόγος 7ης ΕΒΑ
2. Παλιούγκας Θεόδωρος, Η Λάρισα κατά την Τουρκοκρατία (1423-1881), Τόμος Β' . Κατερίνη: Εκδόσεις Μάτι, 2007.