Search for

Advanced search
 
Home 21 August 2019
Culture Sights - Monuments Mpezesteni Larissa

General view of Bezesten
(Photo: Archive of B. Tsolakis)
The eastern gate which today is closed
(Photo: Papakonstantinou A. - Kassou A.)
Entrance from the north.
(Photo: Papakonstantinou A. - Kassou A.)
View from the west
(Photo: Papakonstantinou A. - Kassou A.)

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
No links.

Other files
No other files.
Topics
1st Ancient Theatre
2nd Ancient Theatre
Early Christian Basilica of Frourio
Early Christian Bathhouses
Byzantine Temple - Cemetery of Frourio
Mpezesteni
Yeni Mosque
Bayrakli Mosque
Ottoman Bathhouse (Hamam)
Mill of Pappa
Ippokratis Monument
LOCATION
Larissa
Mpezesteni: Subtopics All topics
There are no more subtopics under the current topic

17/11/2008
Bezesten

Administrator

print preview

The Larissa's Bezesten dominates with its presence in the hill of ancient acropolis, in the current position «Hill of Frourion».
It was a big covered market, that was built by the Ottoman, at the end of 15th- beginning of 16th century. The older known indication for its existence is documented by the public Turkish report TD 36 (1506), where it is mentioned as one of the most important donations and properties of Gazi Omer Bey. Larissa Bezesten served, since then, and for three roughly centuries, as the more vital department of market – a real genuine centre of economic activity- with many professional guilds; while around it, it was organised the commercial department of city, with the Çarşı and the Bazaar.

Evliya Çelebi who visited Larissa around 1668 admired Bezesten; he describes the excellent brickwork of Bezesten and the security that provided to merchants and their goodies, he wrote characteristically:
«In the heart of the city it is located a bezesten, it looks like a fortress, built of stone and roofed with lead, with heavy iron gates. In that covered market, rich merchants sold their particular specialities. Moreover, inside bezesten 21 shops were hosted. All of them are covered by bricks».

Today only the peripheral walls of the Bezesten are still visible. The only gate that is open today is that from the south. Temporarily, Bezesten hosts a byzantine collection of exhibits which it will move very soon on the New Diachronic Museum of Larissa.





References in Greek language:
1. Σταυρούλα Σδρόλια, Δρ Βυζαντινής Αρχαιολογίας - Αρχαιολόγος 7ης ΕΒΑ
2. Παλιούγκας Θεόδωρος, Η Λάρισα κατά την Τουρκοκρατία (1423-1881), Τόμος Β' . Κατερίνη: Εκδόσεις Μάτι, 2007.