Search for

Advanced search
 
Home 19 October 2019
Culture Sights - Monuments Mill of Pappa Larissa

The mill of Pappa
(Photo: Papakonstantinou A.)
The central building of mill
(Photo: Papakonstantinou A. - Kassou A.)
The backyard of mill
(Photo: Papakonstantinou A. - Kassou A.)
Detail of its architecture
(Photo: Papakonstantinou A. - Kassou A.)
The music hall Mill 1927
(Photo: Papakonstantinou A. - Kassou A.)

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
No links.

Other files
No other files.
Topics
1st Ancient Theatre
2nd Ancient Theatre
Early Christian Basilica of Frourio
Early Christian Bathhouses
Byzantine Temple - Cemetery of Frourio
Mpezesteni
Yeni Mosque
Bayrakli Mosque
Ottoman Bathhouse (Hamam)
Mill of Pappa
Ippokratis Monument
LOCATION
Larissa
Mill of Pappa: Subtopics All topics
There are no more subtopics under the current topic

19/11/2008
The Mill of Pappa

Administrator

print preview

The Mill (Mylos) of Pappa is a group of buildings in Georgiadou str. under the hill of Frourio. It constitutes a typical sample of rectangular ground plan with gabled roofs and it was the most characteristic industrial building in the wider region of Thessaly.

In the end of the 19th century, it functioned in Larissa as a steam-mill with the firm name "Dimitriadis, Pappas and Skalioras" and it constituted one of the biggest Thessalian units.

In the beginning of 1919, a fire damaged the mill. After that incident the Pappas family bought the mill, it was repaired and worked efficiently for the next seven years.

In 1921 begins a period of modernisation and continuous extensions. In 1926, the Pappas’ industry made important investments which transformed the old steam-mill into a modern automatic cylinder-mill.

With the supply of the most modern equipment, the mill had the possibility to produce 30 tons of flours per 24hour, giving him the means to successfully compete with the other mills of Larissa. The new building of the industry had a central tower of five floors, deposits and outbuildings which covered a total surface of 16.990 m2.

Another important advantage of the mill was its geographical position which had a direct access to the biggest plain of Greece, where it was produced the best quality of hard wheat, called "nteve". Apart from the guarantee of raw materials, Larissa provided to the mill another geographical advantage (it is in one of the most important transport nodes) which gave to the industry the opportunity to conduct simultaneously imports and exports of goods.

More specifically, the cylinder-mill of Pappa was specialised in the production of flours of hard wheat that was used as raw material in the pasta industry. The direct access to the regions of the production of the hard wheat "nteve" gave to the Pappas industry an important advantage: it supplied with very good qualities of flours many of the biggest industries of pasta in Piraeus, Patra, Kavala etc.

In 1967, the cylinder-mill of Pappa occupied 49 persons and had the capacity to exploit 84 tons of wheat per 24hour.

However in 1986, the Mill of Pappa stopped its operation. This was happened either due to the interruption of the family tradition of millers or due to the change of the profession of the descendants of the old mill industries.

In 1988, the mill’s group of buildings was bought by the Municipality of Larissa in order to convert it into a general purpose cultural, educational, conference and recreational centre.

In November 1989 after the proposal of the Municipality of Larissa, the mill’s group of buildings was characterized as a preservable monument by the Ministry of Culture.

Today, the central building of the mill and its outbuildings (deposits, offices etc), accommodate the following cultural activities:
• The Theatre of Mill, with a capacity of 150 persons, for the performances of DH.PE.THE of Larissa - Thessalian Theatre.
• The School of Dance and its hall of performances, with a capacity of 150 persons.
• The halls and the offices of the Municipal Philarmonique Band
• The Municipal Puppet Theatre of Larissa "Tiritompa" and the Doll Museum
• The Aestival Cinema of Mylos
• The Music Hall "Mylos 1927"

Moreover, in the central building, there is accommodated the Regional Training Institute of Thessaly and a cafe. In the direct future, there are plans for the opening of a traditional restaurant in one of the outbuildings.


Sources:
1. Gourgioti L. and Mitrofanis G., Thessaly. Wheat - flour - bread. Tradition and modernisation, Ethnographical Historical Museum of Larissa, pub. KAPON, Athens 1999
2. Association of the Architects of the Prefecture of Larissa, Album of Architectural Heritage - Appreciable Buildings of the Prefecture of Larissa, Regional Publications, Larissa 2000