Search for

Advanced search
 
Home 16 June 2019
Economy Economical Life Averofios Agricultural School Larissa

Students watch the way of the verification of the density of the cheese brine from the professor B. Fitsopoulo
(Photo: Archive of the Averofeios Agricultural School of Larissa)
Cheese-making class (1963)
(Photo: Archive of the Averofeios Agricultural School of Larissa)
Cheese-making class
(Photo: Archive of the Averofeios Agricultural School of Larissa)
Recording of the conditions of the humidity and the temperature of the deposits from students (1963)
(Photo: Archive of the Averofeios Agricultural School of Larissa)

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
No links.

Other files
No other files.
Topics
Averofios Agricultural School
The Bazaar of Larissa
LOCATION
Larissa
Averofios Agricultural School: Subtopics All topics
There are no more subtopics under the current topic

19/11/2008
The School after the war

Ioulia Kandila

print preview

The developments in the sector of agriculture after the World War II was rapid. The enormous social and economic changes worldwide, the increase of the demand of rural products, the demand for better quality of them and the technological developments led to the change of the physiognomy of the agriculture which from its traditional form it was forced to pass in the enterprising form. This developments worldwide imposed changes also in the organisation of the agricultural education.

The country in order to correspond in the new situation and to be able to prosper it should it has to gain ground fast. The Medium Agricultural Schools of Larissa and Patra already had completed their basic mission and their operation were judged unnecessary. Thus with the law 1394 of the 28th of March 1944 the Averofeios stopped to function as a Medium Agricultural School and from then it would function "on the one hand as a model land for the practical practice of the students of the Superior Agronomic School Athens, on the other hand as a Practical Agricultural School with the name" Averofeios Practical Agricultural School "with two departments a) of craftsmen drivers of agricultural machines and b) of craftsmen cheese makers".

The Averofeios School operated for the first time as a practical school the school year 1949-50. Initially functioned only the department of the craftsmen cheese makers as a regular school. In this department, with duration almost two years, were studying graduates of the primary schools. The teaching was giving weight in the practical exercise and work of the students in the laboratories and in the deposits of the School while the theoretical education was being limited in two or three hours daily. In the nineteen years of the operation of the department of the dairy-farming graduated 313 students, emanated from all the regions of Greece mainly from agricultural regions. The department of dairy-farming functioned until the school year 1968-69. In October 1969 was decided the suspension of the long-term courses of the students in the department of dairy-farming - cheese-making because of the impropriety of the building facilities. With a decision of the Ministry of Agriculture stopped the operation of the department of dairy-farming until the construction of the new building facilities and the supplement of the essential equipment of them so as to correspond to the educational needs of the department.

At the same time with the department of dairy-farming, at same period 1950-1969 in the Averofeio School functioned various schools of short-term courses. Aim of these schools was the education and the training of children from agricultural regions and adult farmers in various sectors of agriculture, livestock-farming and agricultural industries. It was substantially a new form of providing practical agricultural and knowledge to these who already were dealing with this sectors but also in those who would deal in the future. The students at the year of their education were residing in the boarding school of the School. The education was becoming mainly with practical exercise of the students while the theoretical courses were limited in the absolutely essential for the comprehension of the courses. The total of the students who watched the schools of short-term courses of all types that were organized and functioned in the Averofeio is calculated almost 3.300.

At all this period the exploitation of the land property continued to become regularly with scientific way, aiming so much at the cover of the expenses of the operation of the School as at the practical exercise of the students of all types of schools that functioned and the spreading of the improved products of all sectors of production to the farmers and the cattle-breeders of the region.

With this form the Averofeios Agricultural School functioned until 1969. In this year stopped every educational activity in the School, because of problems of its buildings. The Averofeios School the next years will lose its main teaching character. From 1972 and afterwards it is limited only in the organization of schools of short-term courses. Also the transfer of five hundred acres of its property for the foundation of the K.A.T.E (current Technological Educational Institute) will lead to the suspension of its operation as a model land property. This shrinkage of the property, the dramatic reduction of its educational but also working personnel, the abandonment of the buildings and its complete neglect from the state degraded completely the picture of the School at the decade 1970.

In 1990 and after a lot of efforts the School acquires again its educational character. It operates again as technical professional school of the secondary education with two specializations, of craftsmen of rural instruments and of craftsmen of zootechnics.