The operation of the Agricultural School
The decade, that intervened from the voting of the founding law of the School until the beginning of its operation, imposed also changes in the institutional frame of its operation.
In August 1911 and while were completed the building works of the School, the government of Venizelos voted law according to which it was founded in Larissa and in the national land "Ak-Serai" agricultural School with the name "Averofeios Practical Agricultural School" with expenses of the bequest Averof. Based to the new law the Averofeios School functioned with two departments, one superior and one inferior. Both of the departments had three-year duration of attendance but different aims. In the inferior department were studying young persons coming from rural families, who were taught mainly practical elementary knowledge of the agriculture and the livestock-farming aiming after their graduation to be occupied with the one's own hand cultivation of small properties, applying new methods and systems. On the contrary, the superior department was aiming in the theoretical and practical training of agronomists that would undertake then the supervision of agricultural properties and industries or they would staff various agricultural services as craftsmen, chief-workers and foremen.
Until 1914, the School functioned with the two departments. The small however attendance of students in the inferior department combining with the foundation of practical agricultural schools of biennial study in various regions of Greece, led to the suppression of the inferior department in the Averofeio School, which the next years functioned only with one department.
In April 1918, the Averofeios was changed to Medium Agricultural School. This change is included in the frame of more systematic organisation and regularisation of the agricultural education that became this period and was forecasting the creation of schools of three rungs. Were founded inferior schools of elementary education aiming at the creation of agricultural craftsmen and the training of farmers, medium schools of three-year attendance in Larissa, Thessalonica and Patra and a Superior Agronomic School in Athens.
The same precisely year, in 1918, that the School was changed into medium Filopoimin Tzouliadis undertook its direction. With appreciable collaborators it will function regularly for 26 continuous years and will undertake the main work of education and training of medium executives of the agriculture, particularly after the successive suppresses of the schools of Thessalonica and Patra.
The students of the School was emanating from all almost the places of Greece but also from regions outside the borders of the state. The most of them were boarders and were residing in the boarding of the School. The School accepted however also exterior students, that were residing outside the School. The attendance was lasting three years, with three-hour theoretical teaching and four or five-hour practical exercise daily. The daily program was heavy, particularly for the boarders.
The weight of the teaching however was falling to the practical exercise of the students that was continuing even during the summer. It required hard work, since the students were compelled to participate in every work.
The changes in the rural economy of the country with the obliteration of the big properties, as well as the operation of two academic schools, the Agronomic School of Athens in 1920 and the Agronomic-Forestry School of Thessalonica in 1926, was rendering the operation of the Medium Schools no essential. The developments however in the political world as well as the world war II suspended the drastic decisions in the sector of the agricultural education. The Averofeios School functioned therefore as middle until 1944. With law on 28 March 1944 the School was changed in Practical Agricultural School of biennial attendance.
At all the period 1911-1944 with the presence of appreciable agronomists the Averofeios School carried out important educational work. Its offer was incalculable. It constituted, because of its uniqueness, the Superior Agricultural School of Greece, at least up to 1920 when began the operation of the Superior Agronomic School of Athens. It was not only the most important agricultural school but at the same time and an important inquiring institution. But and after the foundation of the Agronomic School, the Averofeios continued to give capable number of "medium-agronomists" at the same time with the schools of Thessalonica and Patra, which however comparatively weren’t so efficient.
Simultaneously with its main teaching work the Averofeios School of Larissa functioned also as a center of multiple agricultural education and research. At the years 1918-1919 consisted at the School, Center of exercise of the drivers of the diesel-ploughs, aiming at the exercise of the farmers on the new type of machines Case and Stock which was used for the first time in Thessaly.
At the period 1927-1933 functioned Agricultural Tuition center for the agricultural education and training of schoolteachers, with duration of one year. Basic mission of the Agricultural Tuition centers was the agricultural training of schoolteachers who were teching in rural regions with aim to teach to the “kiriaka” agricultural schools. These schools were founded the same period in a lot of villages and small towns of Greece and were refering to young persons who dealt with the agriculture but had not received education.
At the same time in the property of Averofeios School and in its various laboratories were doing their practical exercise the students of the Agronomic School of Athens and the Agronomic-Forestry School of Thessalonica.
Finally the School was one of the most important centers of research and application of new methods and systems. The Averofeios School had the chance to have an extent of almost three thousands acres with cultivations. The School had initially a big number of working animals but also then reproductive and gradually were developed a lot the sectors of dairy-farming and cheese-making. At the same time were developed the aviculture, the sericulture and apiculture. In all these fields were practicing themselves the students who were acquiring at the same time with the theoretical knowledge a unique experience. In these fields they were watching also the experimental cultivations that were applied and the new methods that were adopted.