Search for

Advanced search
 
Home 17 November 2019
Tourism - Modern Life Destinations - Routes in Thessaly Larissa Destinations Rapsani

Rapsani
(Photo: Papakonstantinou A. (Archive of N.G.O Dryas))
Tsanaka's house
(Photo: Papakonstantinou A. (Archive of N.G.O Dryas))
Maha's house
(Photo: Papakonstantinou A. (Archive of N.G.O Dryas))
Traditional tap
(Photo: Papakonstantinou A. (Archive of N.G.O Dryas))
Customers of Rapsani's cafe
(Photo: Papakonstantinou A. (Archive of N.G.O Dryas))
Marigo's bridge in the the forest of Saints Theodoroi
(Photo: Papakonstantinou A. (Archive of N.G.O Dryas))
The monastery of the Saints Theodoroi
(Photo: Papakonstantinou A. (Archive of N.G.O Dryas))

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
No links.

Other files
No other files.
Topics
Structured Environment
Architectural Physiognomy
European Prospects of the City
Organizations
Public Transportations
Hotels
Destinations - Routes in Thessaly
Twin Cities
LOCATION
Larissa
Ampelakia
Kallipefki
Karua
Kissavos
Krania
Rapsani
Destinations - Routes in Thessaly: Subtopics All topics

29/11/2008
Rapsani

Administrator

print preview

Rapsani, is built on the southeastern slopes of Lower Olympus, 49km from Larissa at 550 m. alt. Its name originated from the Ā«rapsanesĀ», that is the schist that is seen on the mountain.
The exact date of the establishment of Rapsani is unknown. What is certain is that it existed in 1544, when the church of Saint John the Precursor was built.

The 17th-18th century, the village was famous for the developed manufacture of red threads, the manufacture of cotton and silken fabric and the export trade. Today it is famous for its excellent wine.

North of the village is existing forest full of pines and firs. Particular view offer the localities "Ani'lio", "Keratades" and "Poutsari", as well as the peaks of "Prophet Elias" (1000m.), "Goliani" (1100m.), "Trani' Rahi" (1100m.), "Pigmeni" (1000m.) and "Petalo" (1150m.). Also, in the region are existing two caverns.The first is in the western side of the village and the second in the place "Roytsi", from where it has taken also its name.

Opposite from the village is the forest of Saints Theodoroi, which has big ecological importance because of its rich flora and fauna. In the place "Prosilia", south-eastern of Rapsani, unfold the vines of the region.

From the churches of the village interest present the Holy Temples of Saint Athanasios (1831) which is in the Up Neighborhood, of Madonna(1858) which is in the Down Neighborhood and the chapel of Saint John the Precursor (1544), which is south-eastern of Rapsani and constitutes the oldest religious monument of the village.

Outside the village exist, also, appreciable monasteries, as the Monastery of Metamorphosis of Savior, which is in a forest of plane-trees, walnut-trees and oaks, was built in 1750 and was restored in 1868, and the Monastery of Saints Theodoroi, that is found in the homonym forest and was built in 1778.

The square of the village with the plane-trees is full with traditional cafes, where anyone can try traditional coffee and the exceptional local wine. Characteristic, also, part of the village are the 30 stone taps with their cool water. During summertime constitutes seasonal resort because of its unique spot, the clean waters and its healthy, dry climate.

The village has been connected with the writer M. Karagatsi. In his honor each two years are organized the "Karagatsia" from the Educative Association of Rapsani and the Municipality of Lower Olympus.


Source: N.G.O. Dryas, The cultural heritage of the Municipality of Lower Olympus, Larissa 2008