The Jewish Presence in Larissa 2st part
The Community of Larissa developed significantly between the 15th and the 18th centuries, when it was given the title "Madre d' Israel" Its progress stopped during the Turkish domination. In 1881, when Larissa was liberated from the Turks, the population of the city were 13,000 inhabitants, 2,200 of whom were Jews.
Most of the Jews of Larissa lived, and still live today in an area called "Exi Dromoi", also known as "The Hebraica" ("The Jewish Quarter").
The Jewish quarter of Larissa did not have the form of a "ghetto" like was the case in other cities. Jews and Gentiles lived there in harmony and in friendly terms. The Jewish quarter is at the centre of the city and at a very short distance from the Synagogue, the Hebrew school and other communal institutions.